Saturday, March 12, 2011

Fresh Cafe

4/5 stars

775 Corydon Avenue

Previsit:
I always forget that this place is even on Corydon, although I always notice it when I'm walking down there.  You've probably seen it - it's the wood building next to the 7-11.  Since it's not exactly a typical restaurant I felt a little awkward walking in but the girls at the front were very helpful in directing us up to the restaurant part of the set-up (upstairs).  It's not a very big venue so I would recommend timing your arrival not too close to breakfast but before the usual lunch rush - we got there at around 11 or so and it was great.  One thing that was a little lacking was service in terms of checking on the food and taking payment (although I could always go for not paying).

The Meal:
What's so cool about this restaurant is that it is (a) vegan friendly, and (b) fresh!  (as you may have guessed).

I ordered the eggs and meat - that's how it was described on the menu.  The eggs were great - I think they might have been the kind that have extra omega-3 - and they have a variety of toast (whole wheat multigrain, white multigrain, sourdough rye, etc.).  You get the choice of sausage, so I got bison sausage - it was quite flavourful and much leaner than the usual breakfast sausage.  I also got pan-fried potatoes that were done with rosemary - my least favourite spice - but it was done well so the flavour wasn't overpowering.

My partner got the eggs benny (benedict), which were served on scones instead of an english muffin.  The hollandaise sauce was rich and the bacon was crispy.  This dish was also served with potatoes and Scott agreed that the rosemary was a nice touch - you could barely taste it.

Drinks:
We ordered the hot chocolate which was made from scratch I'm pretty sure.  At the same time, I would definitely order one of their juice combo drinks next time - they sounded tasty (and again fresh).

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree on the rosemary, I hate it! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had the mimosa when I went and I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Upon revisiting Fresh Cafe, I would like to change my rating to 5/5 stars. The french toast is innovative and surprising to the pallet - so delicious, citrus and sweet. Also, the raspberry mango smoothie (I think it's called Mango Time) is unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely one of my favourite places in the city. I absolutely love it! I'm going to try to go sometime this week :)

    ReplyDelete